Jun 01, 2023
ELECT EOOMS - Clerkship in Outpatient Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Director(s): Stavan Patel, DDS, MD, Phone: 318-675-6036
Duration: 4 Weeks
Location: Academic Medical Center at Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport/ Willis Knighton
Maximum Number of Students: 3
Minimum Number of Students: 1
Elective Offered During Blocks: All
Course Code: EOOMS
The goal of this block is for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Tracked medical students to learn outpatient assessment and management of routine office based oral and maxillofacial diseases.
- During the course each student will:
- Maintain and document a patient log
- Perform and document at least 5 Head and Neck Exams under the supervision of a senior resident
- Perform and document at least 10 local anesthesia blocks (mandibular inferior alveolar nerve blocks, lingual nerve blocks, greater palatine blocks)
- Perform and document assistance in extraction of at least 20 total of unerupted and impacted teeth
- Assist in the management of soft and hard tissue recontouring of 5 pre-prosthetic patients.
- Understand the different methods of oral rehabilitation (non-implant and implant treatment plans).Document and give 5 case presentations on treatment planning of partially and fully edentulous patients to the supervising attending in clinic.
Specific Duties of Senior Students:
- Active evaluation of patients in the out-patient setting, under supervision of residents and faculty
- Participating in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Outpatient surgery cases in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery department clinics.
- Peterson’s Principles of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (3rd ed.), Miloro, Ghali, Larsen, Waite, 2012